The mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carried her is revealed;
"And this woman you saw in your vision represents the great city that rules over the kings of the earth." Revelation 17:18
- I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration, vs 6
"And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH." Revelation 17:5
That's the reason it was built;
- "The kings of the world have had immoral relations with her, and the people of the earth have been made drunk by the wine of her immorality." Revelation 17:2
A seat of idolatry and cruel oppressive governments, will deceive people except the remnant of the elect.
"The beast that you saw was, and is not, and will ascend out of the bottomless pit and go to perdition. And those who dwell on the earth will marvel, whose names are not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is." Revelation 17:8
- His ten horns are ten kings who have not yet risen to power; they will be appointed to their kingdoms for one brief moment, to reign with him, vs 12
- They will all sign a treaty giving their power and strength to him, vs 13
- Together they will wage war against the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, vs 14
- The oceans, lakes, and rivers that the woman is sitting on represent masses of people of every race and nation, vs 15
"The scarlet animal and his ten horns-which represent ten kings who will reign with him-all hate the woman, and will attack her and leave her naked and ravaged by fire." Revelation 17:16
Seven heads and ten horns
- The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth, (vs 9) or presided over. It also represents seven kings, a kind like G7 in today's language (vs 10). Take note of verse 13, "These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast."
"And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space. And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition. And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast." Revelation 17:10-13
- Five have already fallen, the sixth now reigns, and the seventh is yet to come, but his reign will be brief, vs 10
- The scarlet animal that died is the eighth king, having reigned before as one of the seven; after his second reign, he too, will go to his doom, vs 11
The government of the day, some believers think it's suited well for the description of Rome, for through it rose so many ruthless leaders. However, it's possible it can mean any of the powerful governments of the day.
The fall of Babylon
"After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was illuminated with his glory. And he cried mightily with a loud voice, saying, "Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit, and a cage for every unclean and hated bird! For all the nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth have become rich through the abundance of her luxury." Revelation 18:1-3
See more on the fall of Babylon
"And here is the mind which hath wisdom..." (Revelation 17:9). Think!
Simple Gospel Summation