The Revelation of JesusTitles that are given to Christ on his appearance to John
1. Alpha and Omega
"...I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last..." Revelation 1:11
2. Son of man
"And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle." Revelation 1:13
3. The First and the Last
"And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last." Revelation 1:17
- He is the first, for by him all things were made, and he was before all things with God and was God himself. he is the last, for all things are made for him, and he will be the Judge of all.
4. He that holds the stars in his right hand
- We are under his special care and protection.
- He walks in the midst of the golden candlesticks.
Christ walks in the midst of his churches on earth, observing what is amiss in them and what it is that they want.
5. He that was dead and is alive, (ch. 1:18)
6. One that hath the sharp sword with two edges (ch. 1:16 ),
- out of whose mouth went a sharp two-edged sword.
- one that held the stars in his hand, and walked in the midst of the golden candlesticks.
The word of God is a sword;
- it is a weapon both offensive and defensive
- it is a sharp sword. No heart is so hard but it is able to cut it;
- it can divide asunder between the soul and the spirit, that is, between the soul and those sinful habits that by custom have become another soul, or seem to be essential to it
- it is a sword with two edges; it turns and cuts every way.
7. The Son of God,
- his eyes are like a flame of fire, and feet like as fine brass.
- the eternal and only-begotten Son of God,
- his eyes are like a flame of fire, signifying his piercing, penetrating, perfect knowledge, a thorough insight into all persons and all things, one who searches the hearts and tries the reins of the children of men (v. 23), and will make all the churches to know he does so.
- his feet are like fine brass, that the outgoings of his providence are steady, awful, and all pure and holy.
- As he judges with perfect wisdom, so he acts with perfect strength and steadiness.
He that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars, Revelation 3:1
He that is holy,
He that is true,
He that hath the key of David,
He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth, Revelation 3:7
The Amen, the faithful and true witness,
The beginning of the creation of God, Revelation 3:14
These are the revelations - the things which must shortly take place, God gave to his servants.
Who are his servants?
- you and me who bear/bore record of the word, of the testimony of Christ, of all that we saw; present, past and future
- we who are his witnesses; who read and hear the words of his prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it.
"Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter; The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches." Revelation 1:19-20
Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are;
Remember, and compare your present with their former state, and consider how much better it was with them then than now, how much peace, strength, purity you have lost,
- how much better you could bear afflictions, and how much more becomingly you could enjoy the favours of Providence,
- how much easier the thoughts of death were to you, and how much stronger your desires and hopes of heaven. [the church isn’t ready, and time isn’t on our side] and the things which shall be hereafter; [tribulation, judgement and new Jerusalem].
- the seven stars/ the angels of the the seven churches.
- the seven candlesticks/the seven churches
I’ve this word for you church; "from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne; And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and is the prince of the kings of the earth - despite all the tribulations and judgements you shall hear as we read on - Grace be unto you, and peace! He’s coming back for you!
Later, we’ll also look at the seven Spirits (anointing) which are before his throne. The scripture we just looked at tells us Jesus Christ is the faithful witness, the prince of the kings of the earth.
- the first begotten of the dead; he loved us and washed us from our sins in his blood.
- he made us kings and priests unto God, and his Father.
- to him be glory for ever and ever, Amen!
- I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a great voice....
- THE ETERNAL, John 1:1, IS OVER EVERYTHING, Colossians 1:18, IS ALL POWERFUL, KNOWS ALL THINGS, John 16:30; 21:17, CAN BE IN ALL PLACES AT ONCE, IS .UNCHANGING, IS RIGHTEOUS, IS HOLY, IS FULL OF GRACE and TRUTH
- Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness —- keep those things which are written, for the time is near.
Write what you see, what do you see?
I saw seven golden candlesticks; and in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, he stands amidst the church.
He saw the Son of man;
- clothed with a garment down to the foot or wearing a long robe Job 29:14 says, "I put on righteousness, and it clothed me: my judgment was as a robe and a diadem." and
- girt or circled with a golden band across his chest, paps/breast,
- his head, his hair was white as wool or snow; - We see him as the Ancient of Days, full of wisdom and perfect beauty, and
- his eyes were penetrating as a flame of fire; None and nothing whatsoever is going to be hidden from him. Amos 9:8 says, "Behold, the eyes of the Lord God are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it from off the face of the earth; saving that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob, saith the Lord." and
- his feet like fine burnished bronze/brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and
- his voice as the sound of many waters, 1 Peter 4:5 says, "Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead." , and
- he had in his right hand seven stars, and
- out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword, and
- his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength,
"Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen." Revelation 1:7
Another important notion, again and again Christ refers to himself as the beginning and the ending or the alpha and the omega. It is emphasizing that Christ exists outside of time, as we know it.
Unto the angel of the church
The apostle John was directed to write to every one of the seven churches, to write to the minister of that church, according to their present state and circumstances.
"Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea." Revelation 1:11
More Articles:The Revelation of Jesus Christ.
I. To Ephesus (2:1-7).
II. To Smyrna (2: 8-11).
III. To Pergamos, (2: 12-17).
IV. To Thyatira, (2:18 - 29).
V. Sardis, (3:1-6).
VI. Philadelphia, (3:7- 13).
VII. Laodicea, (3:14-22).
"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches" Revelation 2:29